Monday, August 25, 2008

Wellness #42: Going Green

Activities:
I tried the the pill identifier on 4 prescription pills. The pill identifier easily identified 3 of the 4. The fourth is a common generic of a very common drug. I also tried the drug interaction tab.
The results were not easily understandable.

I picked adult day care for the service and used the local MedlinePlus to see if there are any related resources within 10 miles of my home. It found 3 locations within 10 miles of my zip code. It helps to have so much information at our fingertips.

I created a sample family medical history tree. This info helps predict my risk for developing diseases and helps me make changes to reduce my risks. Making healthy changes can reduce your risk of disease even if you have already had the disease or if the disease runs in your family.
Genetic testing may also help identify which family members are at risk. These family members can get screening tests and take steps to reduce their risk.

No comments: